NYPL Digital Collection of Apartment Houses; Shop Their Finds
From the Althorp to the Ansonia, the New York Public Library's Digital Collections holds image folios of the Classic 6: New York City's Apartment Building Living, 1880s - 1910s.
(Above is The Langham, located at 73d Street and Central Park West, just north of the Dakota building. The image illustrated one-half of the plan of the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th floors. The other half is similar. Image ID number at the NYPL is 464826)
More than 1,300 digital images depict elevation views and floor plans for middle and upper class apartment buildings from New York City's pre-World War I residential building boom.
The collection contents contain items, diagrams and photographs from volumes such as 1908's Apartment Houses of the Metropolis, modern plumbing, fixtures for laundry, kitchen and butler's pantry. There is also a loose leaf album of apartment houses includes views and ground plans of the principal high class apartment houses in New York City, together with a map showing the situation of these houses from 1910.
While you're at the Library, do explore their shop:
Pages: 1 · 2
- Under the Skin: In my youth we were all expected to keep our feelings under control if not under wraps
- House and Home, a Traveling Exhibition: There’s No Place Like ...
- Culture Watch Reviews: Teaching Girls About Women’s Political Gains Crucial For Progress
- Bouquets: French Still-Life Painting from Chardin to Matisse, Floral Paintings With an Art Historical and Cultural Narrative
- Culture Watch: Historical Memories, Both Collective and Individual, in Three Compelling World War II Books
- When Norms Clash With Formal Laws: How Does a Society Encourage More Whistleblowing?
- A Scientific Mystery: A Region of the Brain Identified, Fought Over and Rediscovered
- Women Veterans Historical Project, Legislation Related to Women Veterans & Pat Tillman Scholars
- The Frick's Scottish National Gallery Exhibit & Intimations of a Vleughels-Watteau Competition Over a Woman
- CultureWatch Book Reviews: Local Stop in the Promised Land