NYPL Digital Collection of Apartment Houses; Shop Their Finds
From the Althorp to the Ansonia, the New York Public Library's Digital Collections holds image folios of the Classic 6: New York City's Apartment Building Living, 1880s - 1910s.
(Above is The Langham, located at 73d Street and Central Park West, just north of the Dakota building. The image illustrated one-half of the plan of the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th floors. The other half is similar. Image ID number at the NYPL is 464826)
More than 1,300 digital images depict elevation views and floor plans for middle and upper class apartment buildings from New York City's pre-World War I residential building boom.
The collection contents contain items, diagrams and photographs from volumes such as 1908's Apartment Houses of the Metropolis, modern plumbing, fixtures for laundry, kitchen and butler's pantry. There is also a loose leaf album of apartment houses includes views and ground plans of the principal high class apartment houses in New York City, together with a map showing the situation of these houses from 1910.
While you're at the Library, do explore their shop:
Pages: 1 · 2
- When Planning a Visit To Washington DC: Restoring the United States Capitol Dome and Rotunda
- A Look Back at Julia Sneden's Review of The Emperor of All Maladies
- Iranian Artist Monir Shahroudy Farmanfarmaian's Mirror Sculptures: Infinite Possibilities
- Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies on Masterpiece: Thomas Cromwell, A Wholly Original Man, A Charmer and A Bully
- Finding the Right Excuse: Committing Words to Paper Because ...
- Private Pensions: Participants Need Better Information When Offered Lump Sums That Replace Their Lifetime Benefits
- Two From PEM: Discovering the Furniture of Nathaniel Gould and Audacious, The Fine Art of Wood
- CultureWatch: Provence, 1970: M.F.K. Fisher, Julia Child, James Beard, and the Reinvention of American Taste
- When You’ve Seen One, You’ve Seen the Mall
- Under the Skin: In my youth we were all expected to keep our feelings under control if not under wraps