NYPL Digital Collection of Apartment Houses; Shop Their Finds
From the Althorp to the Ansonia, the New York Public Library's Digital Collections holds image folios of the Classic 6: New York City's Apartment Building Living, 1880s - 1910s.
(Above is The Langham, located at 73d Street and Central Park West, just north of the Dakota building. The image illustrated one-half of the plan of the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th floors. The other half is similar. Image ID number at the NYPL is 464826)
More than 1,300 digital images depict elevation views and floor plans for middle and upper class apartment buildings from New York City's pre-World War I residential building boom.
The collection contents contain items, diagrams and photographs from volumes such as 1908's Apartment Houses of the Metropolis, modern plumbing, fixtures for laundry, kitchen and butler's pantry. There is also a loose leaf album of apartment houses includes views and ground plans of the principal high class apartment houses in New York City, together with a map showing the situation of these houses from 1910.
While you're at the Library, do explore their shop:
Pages: 1 · 2
- Culture and a Nation's Ideal Effect Shapes How Leaders Smile
- Texas Woman's University: Women's History in Texas, the Southwest and US
- The Wonder of Will; 400 Years of Shakespeare From the Folger Library
- Artistic Interiors at the Met Museum: Satinwood and Purpleheart with Mother-of-Pearl Inlays, Depictions of Hand Mirrors, Scissors, Hair Combs, Brooches, Necklaces, and Earrings
- In This Election Year, The Belmont-Paul Park Site: Force-feeding and Imprisonment Could Not Stop Suffragist Alice Paul
- Designing Identity: The Power of Textiles in Late Antiquity
- Mercy Street, a New Historical Drama Employed Experts on Southern Gentility, on Civil War Medicine, on Runaway Slaves and Society
- Scout Report: TechKnitting, Life and Death in the Artic, Ars Technica, Boston Museum of Science, Railroad History, Rockefeller Family Archives
- Culture Watch Review By Joan L. Cannon: The Social Sex, A History of Female Friendship
- Houses and Passageways: Vermeer's The Little Street Whereabouts in Delft