Herb Planting, Groundcovers, Re-Growing Romaine Lettuce and Other Vegetables
by Ferida Wolff
Groundcover Plants Add to a Garden
I have pachysandra growing in my backyard. It is flowering now; delicate white blossoms are peeking out from their green leaves. Pachysandra is a groundcover plant. Groundcover is exactly what it says — a plant that covers the ground. It spreads easily and makes the space where it’s planted a garden feature.
We have another groundcover in our front yard, too. It is Vinca or periwinkle, a plant that sprouts little purple flowers and can take over a lawn.
I love the way these plants seem to take care of themselves. Whatever the season, they bring green vibrancy to the area where they grow. In Spring, they send up flowers that are a nice reminder of what is ahead. In Winter, they remain green under the snow and slough off the frigid temperatures. The rest of the year they just grow — and spread — as the garden goes through its cycles.
Editor's Note: Ferida added this gem about a type of sprouting and planting we expect to love and profit from:
"I just put in potatoes that were growing on my windowsill. Now I have lettuce heads to transfer. I just cut off the bottoms of romaine lettuce and put them in water. Now they are growing, sending up leaves and setting down roots! Very exciting."
We realized that not many have heard about this phenomenon which apparently also extends to celery and green onions. Consequently, we did a little investigating and found these posts with similar advice:
- Oldest Adults May Have Much to Gain from Social Technology: Feeling Less Lonely, More Satisfied and Physically Fit
- The NIH and Harvard Health Newsletter Explain A Post-Election Question: What is Broken Heart Syndrome
- Our Eyes Turn Towards the North: Senior Women in Canada
- Turn Off the Newsfeed or Take a Digital Break! Election Stress in America
- Preventing Vital Health Care Information from Being Lost in Translation: A Third of All US Hospitals Don't Offer Language Services At All
- From the CDC: Flu Vaccines Have Been Updated This Season to Better Match Circulating Viruses
- Advancing Potential Zika Treatments; a Collaborative Effort with Johns Hopkins University and Florida State University
- General Mills Flour Recall Relating to E. coli Illnesses: Do Not Eat Uncooked Dough or Batter Made With Raw Flour
- Demystifying General Anesthetics: Challenges Facing Anesthesiology Research Today
- The Occasional Gardener; I Was So Inept That if There Had Been A Garden Court, My Yard Would have Been Placed in Guardianship