Today in DOD: Daily coverage of activities and a tribute to Robin Williams
Editor's Note: I have been married to men who were US military service members. First as wife of an Army Security Agency member in Germany while I worked for Army Special Services in Frankfurt and, later (and still today), as the wife of a former Air Force Public Affairs Agency member who served in Viet Nam. During those years, the military draft was still in effect, and while our husbands were in Viet Nam, I was one of three wives who met each week in Sarasota, FL as our husbands served, and we lived off base. Unlike today, we had little chance to communicate with our husbands except through letters and once to meet in Hawaii on R&R after the Tet offensive.
What follows is taken from the DoD's site picturing some of their daily coverage of the Department's activities during the month of August.
U.S. Army 1st Lt. Mitch Messick crawls out from a tunnel during the Joint Multinational Training Command's Best Warrior Competition on Grafenwoehr Training Area, Germany, Aug. 12, 2014. Messick is assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment. U.S. Army photo by Gertrud Zach
Navy Adm. James A. Winnefeld Jr., vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, speaks to students and spouses attending a Capstone course at the National Defense University on Fort McNair in Washington, D.C., Aug. 15, 2014. The objective of the six-week course for senior defense leaders is to improve their effectiveness in planning and employing U.S. forces in joint and combined operations. The course is mandatory for senior officers in the U.S. military. DoD photo by U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Daniel Hinton
U.S. Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, meets members of his Vietnamese counterpart's staff upon his arrival at the Ministry of Defense in Hanoi, Vietnam, Aug. 14, 2014. The ministry manages, coordinates and supervises military affairs, including all military units, paramilitary units and similar agencies in the country. DoD photo by D. Myles Cullen
U.S. Air Force Master Sgt. Lionel Gillis, center, explains a mission to a tactical air control party before boarding a CH-47 Chinook helicopter during Operation Northern Strike near Alpena, Mich., Aug. 7, 2014. Operation Northern Strike is a multinational combined arms training exercise. Gillis is assigned to the Illinois Air National Guard's 182nd Air Support Operations Group and the airmen are joint tactical air controllers assigned to the Illinois Air National Guard's 169th Air Support Operations Squadron. National Guard photo by U.S. Air Force Master Sgt. Scott Thompson
Celebrities Lee Ann Tweeden and Charles Clark autograph footballs that comedian Robin Williams will toss to U.S. troops on Camp Al Tahreer in Baghdad, Dec. 14, 2004. U.S. Army photo by by Sgt. Dan Purcell
Pages: 1 · 2
- GAO & Sexual Assault: Better Resource Management Needed to Improve Prevention and Response in the Army National Guard and Army Reserve
- A Victory for Protestors at Standing Rock Reservation: Army Will Not Grant Easement for Dakota Access Pipeline Crossing
- What is the Status of VA Primary Health Care Scheduing? Actions Needed to Improve Access to Primary Care for Newly Enrolled Veterans
- Congressional Hearing on Zika Epidemic, STEM Funding for Women & Minorities, a Bill to Improve Child Care for Military Veterans, Treating Drug Addiction
- Stories of Service: Debt of Honor on PBS, November 10
- CAGW Names Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald April Porker of the Month
- Remembering ... On a Day Once Known as 'Decoration Day'
- Pauline C. Fryer, Union Spy and Miss Sarah A. Bowman, San Francisco National Cemetery
- Bills Introduced: Background Checks on Foster Care Placements,Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking, Military Sexual Trauma & Tax Credit Increase for Childless Workers
- Interview: How You Can Help Find an MIA