Harvard's Food Law Society, the Sugar Epidemic and Raw Milk Debated
On Thursday, February 16th, Harvard Law School's Food Law Society is hosting a debate about raw milk on Thursday from 7:15 to 8:45 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time). See below*
"The Food Law Society provides students with hands on exposure to the numerous issues in law, policy, science and management that confront professionals in the fields of food law and food policy. Members participate in clinical projects and conferences, host speakers, take trips and collaborate with groups throughout the University and the world in their effort to address food issues."
The session noted below was recorded on YouTube as well a previous 2011 event titled Food and Mental Health with Emily Deans, M.D.
The Sugar Epidemic and Dr. Robert Lustig, Professor of Pediatric Endocrinology at the University of California, San Francisco. Lustig argues that it is time for a paradigm shift in obesity science and policy, away from personal responsibility and toward public health. His presentation elaborates on his contention that sugar, like alcohol, should not be treated as an ordinary commodity on the open market.
Raw Milk Debate, Langdell South, Harvard Law School, Open to the Public
"At one time, everyone drank raw milk. But with the invention of pasteurization and its attendant safety benefits, consumption of raw milk in this country almost completely disappeared. In fact, in many states it is illegal to sell raw milk. But a growing segment of the population is clamoring for increased access to raw milk, citing its nutritional benefits. Opponents are skeptical of such nutritional claims and believe the safety risks of unpasteurized milk are simply too high.
The Society invites the public to join the Food Law Society as they present a debate covering the legal, health, and nutritional merits of raw milk. The participants are:
Fred Pritzker of the Pritzker & Olson Law Firm; Dr. Heidi Kassenborg, Director, Dairy & Food Inspection Division, Minnesota Dept. of Agriculture
Sally Fallon Morell, President, Weston A. Price Foundation; David Gumpert, Author, The Raw Milk Revolution
- So You Think You Can Cook? I Could Manage the Basics Or So I Thought!
- Martha's Vineyard, a Seafood Heaven, 'Sea to Table'
- Hands in the Dough; The Sound the Hot Loaves Made When You "Thumped" Them to See If They Were Done
- America's Favorite Dish: Pyrex, Shaped Not Only By Designers and Engineers But By Women Consumers
- My Mother's Cookbook; Recipes from Younger Friends: Cindy’s Cookies, Gaby’s Butter Cookies with Jam, California Cheesecake, and Cynthia’s Lemon Bars
- Things My Grandmothers Taught Me; Maxims for Growing Children
- Food Secrets of Downton Abbey: When the Gravy Froze & Dropping Fake Prawns Onto the Dowager's Lap
- Ferida Wolff's Backyard Series: Pumpkins In the Patch, Halloween and After
- Summer Cookies: Aunt Rickie's Icebox, Mom''s Iced Orange Drop, Aunt Myrtle's Ginger and Jean's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
- Culture Watch Book Reviews: My Beloved World and Consider the Fork