Financial Stability Plan
Treasury Secy. Timothy Geithner released a statement concerning the basic form of the Financial Stability Plan. Aside from that brief outline, he announced a new website called FinancialStability.gov, which holds a fact sheet with more details.
The core program elements include:
- A new Capital Assistance Program to help ensure that our
banking institutions have sufficient capital to withstand the
challenges ahead, paired with a supervisory process to produce a more
consistent and forward-looking assessment of the risks on banks'
balance sheets and their potential capital needs.
- A new
Public-Private Investment Fund on an initial scale of up to $500
billion, with the potential to expand up to $1 trillion, to catalyze
the removal of legacy assets from the balance sheets of financial
institutions. This fund will combine public and private capital with
government financing to help free up capital to support new lending.
new Treasury and Federal Reserve initiative to dramatically expand – up
to $1 trillion – the existing Term Asset-Backed Securities Lending
Facility (TALF) in order to reduce credit spreads and restart the
securitized credit markets that in recent years supported a substantial
portion of lending to households, students, small businesses, and
- An extension of the FDIC's Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program to October 31, 2009.
new framework of governance and oversight to help ensure that banks
receiving funds are held responsible for appropriate use of those funds
through stronger conditions on lending, dividends and executive
compensation along with enhanced reporting to the public.
Alongside this program, the Administration will launch a comprehensive program to help address the housing crisis.
Read the fact sheet for a seven page examination of the plan.
- Janet Yellen Speaks at a Teachers Town Hall Meeting; The Gender Gap in Economics and the Leaky Pipeline Problem
- Senate Confirmation Hearings Schedule for The Week Beginning on the 1/09/17 and Financial Disclosure Reports
- An Expert Assesses Personal Security in An On-edge America
- Culture and a Nation's Ideal Effect Shapes How Leaders Smile
- Hospices Inappropriately Billed Medicare Over $250 Million for General Inpatient Care
- A Playlist Connected to a Pillow Before, During and After An Operation
- America's Senior Citizens Were "Spared the Darkness of Sickness Without Hope": 50th Anniversary of Medicare and Medicaid
- White House Conference on Aging Forum and New Financial Coaching Initiative
- CAGW Names Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald April Porker of the Month
- Which States Have the Most Job Growth Since the Recession? The 50 States and DC Have Added Nearly 12 Million Jobs