In failing health as he wrote the serialized installments of The Mystery of EdwinDrood, Dickens abandoned the sunny geniality of his earlier work for a plot that was more dreamlike, erotic, and sinister than anything he had ever published. He was halfway though his dark tale when he died.
The story opens in an opium haze, as John Jasper (Rhys) smokes his way intooblivion to take his mind off his detested duties as a village choirmaster — and to fantasize about murdering his guileless nephew, Edwin Drood . Drood isengaged to marry the beautiful Rosa Bud , with whom Jasper is perversely in love.
He is not alone. A mysterious visitor from Ceylon, Neville Landless, has arrived in town with his twin sister, Helena. Taking an intense interest in Rosa, Landless objects to Drood’s treatment of her, sparking a feud between the two young men. At the same time, Helena becomes Rosa’s best friend.
Meanwhile, Jasper’s curiosity about possible resting places for the dead takes him to the crypt beneath the cathedral where he works, with the eccentric stonemason Durdles as his guide. Durdles has the unnerving habit of referring to himself in the third person, as if his body is somewhere else.
From there, things get spookier and spookier, until Drood disappears on the night of his supposed reconciliation with Landless.
There are no end of Dickensian suspects who may have wished Drood harm. Besides Jasper, Rosa, and the Landless twins, there are Rosa’s pathologically generous guardian, Hiram Grewgious ; the too-good-to-be-true Reverend Crisparkle; and the self-important Mayor Sapsea who happens to have a gigantic key to an empty tomb.
Check with your local PBS listings for times and date, beginning April 15th.
Pages: 1 · 2
- A Bit of History: Lyndon B. Johnson Accepts the Nod to Become Vice-President, July 14, 1960
- Inspiring Artists, Musicians, Novelists, Poets, and Filmmakers: Coney Island, Visions of an American Dreamland
- Turner's Whalers: That is not a smear of purple ... but a beautiful whale ... whose tail has just slapped a half-dozen whale-boats into perdition"
- Underwater Archaeology: Sunken cities, Egypt’s lost worlds at the British Museum
- Texas Woman's University: Women's History in Texas, the Southwest and US
- The Wonder of Will; 400 Years of Shakespeare From the Folger Library
- Artistic Interiors at the Met Museum: Satinwood and Purpleheart with Mother-of-Pearl Inlays, Depictions of Hand Mirrors, Scissors, Hair Combs, Brooches, Necklaces, and Earrings
- In This Election Year, The Belmont-Paul Park Site: Force-feeding and Imprisonment Could Not Stop Suffragist Alice Paul
- Designing Identity: The Power of Textiles in Late Antiquity
- The Cambridgeshire Priest Returns in Grantchester, Season Two: Reverend Sidney Chambers and Inspector Geordie Keating Bring Justice and Spiritual Nourishment to Early 1950s England