December 2009 CultureWatch
Jill Norgren, Diane Girard and Julia Sneden review:
Abigail & John: Portrait of a Marriage helps to regender early American history which remains overly focused on generals and male political leaders. Nothing Sacred is a spare, subtle, literary collection of short fiction, but not pretentious in any way. Olive Kitteridge, the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel now in paperback, gives a deep sense of the connectedness of the small town and its inhabitants and Olive’s place in the scheme of things.Read More...
- Culture Watch Book Reviews: My Beloved World and Consider the Fork
- Dickens and Doctors: Vignettes of Victorian Medicine
- Culture Watch: J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy and Larson's In the Garden of Beasts
- RMS Titanic Book Reviews: "It is impossible to stand. The music’s sounds are lost in an increasingly thunderous roar ... "
- Culture Watch Reviews
- Book Review, The Swerve: How the World Became Modern and Chef Supreme
- Culture Watch Reviews: P.D. James' Death Comes to Pemberley; Trollope's Nina Balatka
- We'll Always Have Frances, Emma, The Little Prince and Middlemarch
- Elizabeth and Her German Garden
- Children's Books for Reading, Collecting, Enjoying: Reviewers Select Their Favorites