Women of Note: Deborah Hersman, NTSB Chairman
"Since 1967, the NTSB has conducted more than 132,000 aviation investigations and issued over 13,000 safety recommendations. Each year we investigate about 1,400 general aviation accidents - and we assist in dozens of foreign investigations around the world. Right now, we are supporting efforts from Bagram to Bali and from Paraguay and Pakistan."
— Deborah Hersman's talk, "Defying Gravity, Safely and Surely", The Wings Club, New York, New York. June 12, 2013
NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman is recognized as one of the nation's most visionary and passionate safety leaders who advocates for safety across all modes of transportation. Among her many initiatives, Chairman Hersman has focused attention and actions on distracted driving, child passenger safety, and helping accident victims and their families. She emphasizes the NTSB's role as 'the conscience and the compass of the transportation industry.' "
Chairman Hersman has been the Board Member on-scene for 19 major transportation accidents, chaired scores of NTSB hearings, forums and events, and regularly testifies before Congress. Her leadership has created a more transparent and accountable organization by significantly increasing the quantity and quality of NTSB information available on the agency's website, holding more public meetings to highlight safety issues, and embracing social media to communicate with stakeholders and citizens. — From the NTSB website
Created as an independent federal agency in 1967, the NTSB has investigated more than 132,000 accidents and made more than 13,500 safety recommendations. The NTSB is recognized internationally as a preeminent accident investigation organization. Hersman serves as the chief executive of the agency, which has 400-plus employees and an annual budget of more than $100 million.
Hersman was first appointed as a Board Member by President Bush in 2004 and reappointed to a second five-year term by President Obama. Appointed Chairman by President Obama in 2009 and 2011 with unanimous Senate confirmation votes, she is now serving her second term as Chairman. Her Board position and chairmanship both expire in 2013.
Previously, Hersman was a senior advisor to the US Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation from 1999-2004 and served as Staff Director and Senior Legislative Aide to West Virginia Congressman Bob Wise from 1992-1999. Her efforts contributed to the passage of milestone bills such as the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of 1999, Pipeline Safety Improvement Act of 2002, Transportation Equity Act of the 21st Century, and Amtrak Reform and Accountability Act.
Chairman Hersman received B.A. degrees in Political Science and International Studies from Virginia Tech, and an M.S. in Conflict Analysis and Resolution from George Mason University.
Quotes from Chairman Hersman from QuoteTimes.com.
- June 19, 2013 - Testimony to Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and
Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation United States Senate
Hearing on Staying on Track: Next Steps in Improving Passenger and Freight Rail Safety
- June 18, 2013 - Railroad Accident Report - Collision Involving Two Freight Trains, Goodwell, OK, June 24, 2012 - Chairman's Opening and Closing Remarks
- June 12, 2013 - "Defying Gravity, Safely and Surely", The Wings Club, New York, New York
- June 4, 2013 - Safety Study: Characteristics of Single-Unit Truck Accidents Resulting in Injuries and Deaths - Chairman's Opening and Closing Remarks
Pages: 1 · 2
- In Wake of Paris, How Prepared Are US States, Cities?
- Houses and Passageways: Vermeer's The Little Street Whereabouts in Delft
- Have You Heard the Term Daesh for ISIS, ISIL? Terrorist Designations of Groups Operating in Syria
- Culture Watch: A Review of a John Fowles Classic, Daniel Martin
- Elaine Soloway's Rookie Widow Series: Forget Him Not, Boston and Beyond, Double Dating With My Mother
- It's Quarter To Three: Could it be that I am not alone in my wakeful state?
- Fireflies And Summer Rain ... Stars at Night, a Million Stars, Hung Low
- Rembrandt? The Case of Saul and David, a Patchwork of Canvases
- Between Two Worlds: Cruising the Turquoise Coast
- On Tanzanian Safari: The Guides' Big Five Wildlife Lessons