I'm a Liberal .... Because of Bobby Kennedy
by Liz Flaherty
I never wanted to be a liberal. Truth be told, I never wanted to be political at all. It’s all Bobby Kennedy’s fault, because way back in the 1960s, he made me think all things were possible. For everybody.
It’s that “everybody” part that got me.
In case you don’t know anything about me, I am a stereotype to end all stereotypes. I’m Christian, white, straight, married, and retired. You know those people who say they worked their butts off for 40 years and now it’s their turn to sit on them and draw their “entitlement?” — I’m one of them.
I love Christmas for all the “right” reasons — I love the Lord, peace on earth, good will toward men — and the “wrong” ones — I love presents, parties, and Christmas songs. My clothing and the stuff in my house is traditional. I drive an SUV. I am happy to be an American and I’m proud of it, too, though … oh, good Lord, do I think we have problems!
Most of them, I’m prone to believe, have to do with two things: (1) Greed. And, no, I’m not going to explain that one. If you don’t get it on your own, you’re not going to, and (2) People are always mad at other people. For such a myriad of reasons it would be silly to make a list.
However, besides being a stereotype, I occasionally step across the line from sane to silly in a heartbeat. Or a keystroke if you want to get literal about it. So here’s my list of why I think people are mad at others:
Photograph: Robert F. Kennedy, Cabinet Room, White House, Washington, DC.; January 1964. LBJ Library photo by Yoichi R. Okamoto
Pages: 1 · 2
- Why? Like Why Do I Waste Time Watching "The Chew" Chefs Concoct Recipes I’m Never Going to Attempt and Other Conundrums
- Without Delay: Restoring the Eligibility of WASPs to Have Their Ashes at Arlington National Cemetery
- Not By the Book: Musing About My Sex Ed Class
- Smaller Share of Women Ages 65 and Older are Living Alone; More are Living With Spouse or Children
- Healthcare Enrollment Deadline January 31, 2016; Most Consumers Satisfied with Health Plans
- Pack Up: Americans On the Move Again to the West and South
- The California Fair Pay Act: Closing the Wage Gap for Women
- Defund Planned Parenthood Act - Who Voted For and Against; Pope Has Addressed Congressional Joint Meeting
- The Hitchhiker, A Peace Conference and the Frequent E-mailer
- Culture Watch Mystery Reviews: Female Sleuths, Violent Crimes and Exotic Cultures